Good news: EDU meets EDM
When was the last time you heard some really good news? Everyone loves hearing something positive and uplifting, right? Well, being a Professor of Communication, I strongly encourage self-disclosure through "good news" during the first five minutes of every class I teach throughout the semester. Students volunteer to share anything positive in their lives, and the quick announcements range from a new job, a good grade on a test, joining a sorority, or something simple like the weather is great or they found a good parking spot. As long as it's good news, I want to hear it.
Typically, I share my own good news as well, which is usually related to my weekend trips to popular New York City nightclubs to photograph and write reviews of world famous DJs. My students are open to learning about the music I love, but typically don't understand much about my life as a "househead" and my incredible love of EDM: electronic dance music.
This usually sparks other standard questions including, "Oh, you mean that techno music?" or "So you're one of those fist-pumpers like on the Jersey Shore?" Even though we always have a good laugh about these things, I use the opportunity to open the door and inform them about a genre they typically don't know anything about. The fact that college students don't know what EDM is shocks me every semester!
When I ask my students if they know who TiÃsto is, one of the most famous dance music producers in the world, sadly there are only a few who say yes. This really shocks me! In the four years I've been teaching, I have had less than a dozen students who have attended the Electric Zoo Festival over Labor Day weekend in New York like I have. This semester, thankfully, I have a good handful of students who know the popular house music and EDM DJs like Avicii, Kaskade, Afrojack, Swedish House Mafia, and deadmau5 (pronounced "dead mouse") due to their growing mainstream popularity and sing-along anthems heard in every club, shore bar, and even on some FM radio stations. Although, it is somewhat of a relief that many students do know who David Guetta is because his music is often heard on top 40 pop stations. Guetta is currently ranked number one on the DJ Mag Top 100 poll, and TiÃsto is number three, FYI.
When you're in college, and all of your homework is finished, you should enjoy a study break on the weekends and go out dancing with friends. Don't college students like to dance and let loose? Well you can't dance without dance music. Throughout the semester I even offer suggested artists, tracks, and places to go enjoy EDM to my students. I simply encourage them to open their minds to house music (not "techno" or "dance", generically) and try something new. In my class, there's nothing wrong with improving your communication skills and your musical horizon in the process. If my 63- year old Mom knows who TiÃsto is, so should my 22-year old students. By the end of the semester my students not only know what EDM is, but have a newfound appreciation for it, and that's my kind of good news.
Professor Pace is an adjunct professor in the Department of Communication at Kean.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More The Tower News Articles
Recent The Tower News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THE TOWER NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE TOWER NEWS
- University takes "going digital" to a whole new level
- Halo 4 is almost here
- Artist and teacher's art displayed at Kean's library
- "The Walking Dead:" AMC's TV show returns for season three
- Darius Kinney quietly carries the Kean Cougars
- Who's hot and who's not in Kean Athletics
- Men's and women's soccer final stretch
RECENT THE TOWER CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Got a Headache? Manage it With Chiropractic Care
- 3 Pescadores Rescatados en el Mar gracias a Dispositivo GPS
- When It Comes to Winter Roof Checkups, the Attic Is Your...
- Is It Time to Sell Your Structured Settlement for Cash?
- Pest Proof Now to Protect Homes for Winter
- 3 Fishermen Rescued at Sea Thanks to GPS Device
- Mes de la Hispanidad inspira liderazgo, empoderamiento,...
- Majority of Moms and Moms-to-Be Believe in Public...
- Wineries Speak Up About the Benefits of Using Natural Cork
- Taking a Holistic Approach to Fit Living
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Over 2,000 Groups Prepare to “Hit the Streets” with Volunteers and Celebrities for National Voter Registration Day on September 23, 2014
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections