49 cool facts about the human body
Did you know that:
1. The strongest muscle in the body is the tongue.
2. It takes 20 seconds for a red blood cell to circle the whole body. The average human will eat an average of eight spiders while sleeping.
3. The average woman consumes six lbs of lipstick in her lifetime.
4. On average, a 4-year-old child asks 437 questions a day.
5. Only 7 percent of the populations are lefties.
6. The average person's left hand does 56 percent of the typing.
7. A human brain weighs about three pounds.
8. One-quarter of the bones in your body are in your feet.
9. You blink 10,000,000 times a year.
10. When you sneeze, all bodily functions stop…even your heart.
11. If you yelled for eight years, seven months and six days you would have produced enough sound energy to heat one cup of coffee.
12. Hair is the second fastest growing tissue on the body. Bone marrow is the first.
13. Around 20 percent of the oxygen you breathe goes to your brain.
14. The human heart beats an average of 35,000,000 times per year – thus, the average human heart beats around 100,000 times per day.
15. A man's testicles manufacture 10 million new sperm cells each day – enough that he could repopulate the entire planet in only 6 months!
16. The largest organ in the body is the skin.
17. Each kidney contains 1 million individual filters. They filter an average of around 1.3 liters (2.2 pints) of blood per minute, and expel up to 1.4 liters (2.5 pints) a day of urine.
18. In 30 minutes, the average body gives off enough heat (combined) to bring a half-gallon of water to boil.
19. The eyes receive approximately 90 percent of all our information, making us basically visual creatures.
20. The female ovaries contain nearly half a million egg cells, yet only 4,000 or so will ever get the opportunity to create new life.
21. There are about 60,000 miles of blood vessels in the human body. And the hard-working heart pumps about 2,000 gallons of blood through those vessels every day.
22. In a lifetime, the average person produced about 25,000 quarts of saliva – enough to fill two swimming pools.
23. By 60 years of age, 60 percent of men and 40 percent of women will snore.
24. The nails that get the most exposure and are used most frequently and are used most frequently grow the fastest.
25. Fingernails grow fastest on the hand that you write with and on the longest fingers. On average, nails grow about one-tenth of an inch each month.
26. The human head is one-quarter of our total length at birth but only one-eighth of our total length by the time we reach adulthood.
27. The largest cell in the human body is the female egg and the smallest is the male sperm.
28. Monday is the day of the week when the risk of heart attack is greatest.
29. Scientist say the higher your I.Q. the more you dream.
30. 80 percent of the brain is water.
31. Women's hearts beat faster than men's.
32. Your left lung is smaller than your right lung to make room for your heart.
33. You could remove a large part of your internal organs and survive.
34. A full bladder is roughly the size of a softball.
35. Earwax production is necessary for good ear health.
36. About one-third of the human race has 20/20 vision.
37. If saliva cannot dissolve something you cannot taste it.
38. The tooth is the only part of the human body that can't repair itself.
39. The most common blood type in the world is Type O.
40. It is not possible to tickle yourself.
41. Right-handed people live, on average, nine years longer than left-handed people do.
42. It's impossible to sneeze with your eyes open.
43. There are 10 human body parts that are only 3 letters long (eye, hip, arm, leg, ear, toe, jaw, lip, gum).
44. The average human head weighs about eight pounds.
45. Our eyes are always the same size from birth, but our nose and ears never stop growing
46. An average human scalp has 100,000 hairs.
47. The length of the finger dictates how fast the fingernail grows. Therefore, the nail on your middle finger grows the fastest, and on average your toenails grow twice as slow as your fingernails.
48. When you are looking at someone you love, your pupils dilate, and they do the same when you are looking at someone you hate.
49. Your thumb is the same length as your nose.
Dr. Palgi is a professor in the Physical Education, Recreation and Health Department at Kean.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More The Tower News Articles
Recent The Tower News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THE TOWER NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE TOWER NEWS
- University takes "going digital" to a whole new level
- Halo 4 is almost here
- Artist and teacher's art displayed at Kean's library
- "The Walking Dead:" AMC's TV show returns for season three
- Darius Kinney quietly carries the Kean Cougars
- Who's hot and who's not in Kean Athletics
- Men's and women's soccer final stretch
RECENT THE TOWER CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Family-Friendly Programming Storms The Weather Channel
- Carrageenan: Sustainability From Farm to Table
- Every Room Tells a Story if You Set the Stage
- Guiding Treatment of Advanced Breast Cancer Using Subtypes
- Taking the High Road to Scotland
- Fall Foes: Watch out for These Stinging Insects
- Supporting Arts in Education
- Fishing and Boating are Great Activities for the Entire...
- Don't Get Blindsided by the Sticker Shock of College
- Your Online Reputation: Handle With Care